Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Wonderful Challenges

BARRELS, BASKETS, BOTTLES II
800mm x 800mm oil on canvas by Marie Theron
 I love commissions! Unexpected requests have taken me into the most interesting places. And so I have done large wall paintings and delicate botanical drawings where every part of a plant and all angles had to be measured. I have painted a book cover and done illustrations for another book. You will also remember the post a few months ago where I painted the hair of two teenagers, a very enjoyable commission.

In November 2013 a "dream client" visited my studio. She bought the Velddrif painting from two posts ago and commissioned the four seagull paintings which I showed in the last post. And then she also commissioned a large copy of a painting I had in my home.

Getting started on the barrels painting.

I took this photo halfway through the process.
The older, smaller painting hangs in the background.
With commissions, you never know what the next challenge will be. We are halfway through January and I am working on some small pieces, being wide awake and keenly looking out for the next interesting project that comes my way.

6 comments:

  1. Love the almost watercolor look you are getting with oils, Marie. Fabulous large painting of those wine casks. Glad to know that busyness has kept you away from blogging and so happy to see what you've been busy doing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sherry, yes the blogging suffered. I first had my hand in a brace, then visited the grandchildren for a month. And of course, a great obstacle to my successful blogging is that I do not have the courage to travel on my own, thus there are no new stories about the West Coast. Sooner or later I will do something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fantastic painting, Marie... I love how you painted the wooden wine casks,.Beautifully!!!! Glad to see you back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Hilda. And I appreciate the kind compliments!

      Delete
  4. Gosh, you really have been busy....congrats on all of the commissions! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! I am surely hoping for more commissions soon.

      Delete

I love your comments, they make my day!