Pages

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

One Thing Leads to Another: The First Ball

"The First Ball" 16 x 20 inches (400mm x 500mm) Water-soluble Oil on Canvas
R2500 / $250 SOLD
When I started going in the direction of softer works, I halted and said: 'No, this is not me!" but little did I know that the Impressionistic works would open the door to some delightful commissions. On seeing the Monet-like work, the mother of my young model, Kayla, whom I painted in a confident pose with an umbrella in a previous painting, asked me to do a special large painting from a photograph. What a wonderful image she sent me, and this is the result on a 16 x 20 inch canvas.

I loved doing the half-plaited look of Kayla's hair and the soft loose curls of her dark-haired friend who is also called Kayla. The painting holds for me not only the image of specific people. It becomes a universal expression of the joy of being young, as these girls approach a castle-like building to attend their first ball in pretty chiffon dresses. This is one of the many moments in a young girl's life on her way to adulthood.

The painting was done in W&N water-soluble oil paints, my new must-have product. It is amazing to work with, and I do not thin the paint at all.  To read more on the product, here is a link to Lori McNee's website.

6 comments:

  1. New directions means new opportunities, I am so glad one lead to the other. This is a stunning piece, the young are not facing this way but still can feel their exuberance and energy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the lovely words padmaja.....you just made me realize that the kids also face away from us towards their future!

      Delete
  2. You've really captured the excitement of youth in this piece, Marie. It is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sherry, I am glad that you can feel tjis too. Their future is filled with dreams of ball dresses!

      Delete

I love your comments, they make my day!